Fire destroys part of Lansdowne home

Article content

A suspected chimney fire has destroyed part of a couple's home here.

The fire began in the back of the King Street East house during the late morning hours of Saturday, December 29.

The couple, who were at home at the time, managed to escape unharmed.

“The call came in as a chimney fire and en route, it was upgraded to a structure fire,” said Leeds and Thousand Islands fire chief Gerry Bennett.

“When we arrived, the downstairs was fully engulfed.”

Smoke was billowing out of the house and could be smelled through the village.

Firefighters at the scene were working on tearing down the back part of the home with a piece of heavy machinery so that they could extinguish some fire hot spots. 

Bennett said that 25 firefighters, all from the Leeds and the Thousand Islands Fire Department, responded to the fire. 

The damage from the fire was estimated to be around $250,000 according to Bennett.

“They are insured, and there's nothing suspicious about this fire,” he said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but Bennett said that it probably started in the home's wood stove.

“It came in as a chimney fire, so I suspect (the wood stove),” Bennett said.

“We'll go through it after to inspect it."



Article content

Latest National Stories


Story continues below

News Near Brockville

This Week in Flyers